Skip to main content

My Ancestry.com DNA testing: some progress

THIS article today on GENEALOGY and DNA TESTING gives a quick explanation of the three main types of testing offered to the general public for genealogical purposes.  Are you curious about your ethnicity?  Do you have holes in your family research due to "brick walls" or stalled research?  I've found much enjoyment from my experience with Ancestry.com's Autosomal DNA testing product as of late.  While it hasn't provided any huge "AHA" moments or broken down any brick walls in research, I've found several promising cousin matches and common ancestors, according to the results. 

A few months back, I posted on my family's blog about my initial, shocking results.  See the article HERE.

For a refresher, here is a snippet of my ethnicity profile:

Persian/Turkish/Caucasus??  What gives?!?

To my surprise, my mother also volunteered to take the test!  I eagerly anticipated her results, because I had a sneaking suspicion that the odd-ball ethnicity (as in...ethnicity that my family history research did not seem to cover) might have originated in her family line.  And what do you know...even more unexplained ethnicity!!

Eastern European?  Oh goodness...
The reason these results are so mysterious?  According to the math, approximately 78% of the ancestors on my tree were born in the United States; 15% in Germany; 7% other (mostly including British Isles).  Based upon these new revelations, it appears that at some point my research might take me to a region I have yet to investigate. 

For me, the percentage is equivalent to a great-grandparent or great-great-grandparent.  That has yet to be seen!  Still intriguing, none the less.  On my mother's side of the family, I have a 4th great-grandparent whose origins are murky...who I can't seem to find on passenger lists (even though his naturalization declaration states an exact date and location)...and whose name I'm starting to believe is a self-created moniker for his new life in America.  Even his immediate family wasn't sure where he was born, since they often quoted an incorrect location on census tellings after his death (Holland some places...Germany others).  Could it be that this jeweler from Amsterdam is my Eastern European link?  Would love a definitive answer to the background of one of the most mysterious figures on my family tree to date.

Not to be left out, my sweet husband also participated in the Ancestry.com DNA testing.  His results:


Here, the DNA math mostly matches the TREE math.  In total - 68% Norway, 19% England, 13% USA.  From what I have read and heard, the algorithm for the Ancestry testing often co-mingles Scandinavian and British Isles results - thanks to those ever-present Vikings.  No surprises in Paul's results...just more of an affirmation that we're investigating in the correct region of the world :).  Big mysteries I hope to crack?  A paternal great-grandfather was an Orphan Train rider.  We know nothing about his family origins, as he obediently (as was prescribed by the Orphan Train administrators) spoke very little about his beginnings.  We (painfully, patiently) await feedback from the archivist at the Children's Aid Society in New York re: his case file.  Hoping they might shed some light on this second mystery!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay It Forward

A bit of joy for my Friday! Our mail delivery within our little military community here in Sicily is so.very.sloooooow.  What makes it maddening is that it can be a combination of super-fast and super-slow...so no one seems to balk at the trend of inconsistency.  Maybe I complain enough for everyone :). I'm in the middle of a few genealogical mysteries - one of them being the family origins of a Mr. Joseph W. Daly, a paternal great-grandfather of my husband.  Like most of the challenging parts of our tree, I hit a wall with Joseph a few months back and promptly put him aside when something a little more lucrative came along.  For sake of ease.  Now, we meet again.  For this one, I even consulted a few curious friends.  I felt like maybe I wasn't searching deep enough or with the right "keywords" online or in my genealogy search engines.  Some researchers have favored methodologies for searching, and I felt I needed to branch out.  One friend immediately suggest

Maritime Monday

Instead of jumping right into the multi-generational tradition of service in the US Navy among my husband's relatives (would have been too obvious?  No?)...I'll kick off the first of my "Maritime Monday" posts with a nod at one of my several German immigrant ancestors.  Ship travel?  Check!   On 18 Septemer 1868, my 3rd great-grandfather Anselmus Ostholthoff arrived in New York aboard the German steam ship "Smidt" after a trans-Atlantic journey from Andervenne, Germany.  His traveling companions - wife Maria Anna (Toepke) Ostholthoff, their eldest son Johan Gerhard (2 years), and daughter Anna Maria (9 months). The following snippet from their arrival documentation [1] indicates that Anselmus ("Selmus") was a farmer from Andervenne.  His stated destination after New York: Virgina.  This is curious to me, because I have record of Anselmus living in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1870 [2] .  At this point, Mr. Ostholthoff is no longer working as a farmer

Chicken or Duck?

I'm feeling a little scattered these days.  Could be the breezy Fall weather - a wonderful sight after three long years in Sicily's arid climate.  Instead of olive and blood orange trees, I'm gazing out of my kitchen window appreciating our collection of hardwoods.  Leaves are everywhere, and the piles are only going to get bigger.  I am treasuring every last one. My research brain is also a bit scattered.  A little genetic genealogy over here...a little "other people's genealogy" over there.  Most of this is flat-out procrastination from dealing with the pile of photos I need to archive and the folder of newly-located probate records to transcribe.  There's also that little thing of needing to manage my household.  Oh, and clean.  And feed children :). In the meantime, I stumbled upon a snippet from the Reading Times (A Web Footed Chicken (1890, August 4).  The Reading Times , p. 1.  Retrieved from www.newspapers.com)). Sarah M. LUDEN is a 4th gre