Skip to main content

Experimenting with Land Values

Inspired by THIS POST on The In-Depth Genealogist, my research inspiration today revolves around my ancestors' real estate values.  Using the 1870 US Federal Census, I decided to choose two households from my family tree - one being my best-guess estimate as "richest relative in 1870" and "poorest relative in 1870".  I don't mean this in any disrespectful sort of way...I'm just curious about getting a feel for the socio-economic standing of my ancestors in relation to their neighbors and community.

In this particular census, the value of the family's real estate is listed in $ dollars as well as the total estimated value of their personal property.  For comparison in modern-day standards, I ran values for "richest" and "poorest" through an inflation calculator online.  A small disclosure here...I selected these two households based on an educated guess.  With more time, I can browse through ALL 1870 US Census reports attached to my family tree to find the exact high and low wealth families.  For another day :).

Here are the results:

1.  Wealthiest in 1870:
Household of Sarah Musser Luden (widowed 4 years prior), and children Edward, Caroline, William (future candy guru), Sallie, and Jacob.  Living in Reading Ward 7, Berks County, Pennsylvania.

Value of real estate = $12,000
Value of personal property = $8,000

Current value of real estate = $210,526.32
Current value of personal property = $140,350.88

Other households in the same neighborhood (a wealthier part of downtown Reading...filled with the homes and businesses of many other merchants, including a chocolate maker, congressional representative, paper hanger, carpenter, and painter...listed values ranging from $15,000 to $150, or even renting.  For context, Mrs. Luden is a great-grandmother on my mother's mother's side of the family.

2.  Poorest in 1870:

Household of John Washington and Mary Parrish, Henry County, Alabama, precinct 1.



Value of real estate = none (rent)
Value of personal property = $50

Current value of real estate = n/a
Current value of personal property = $877

Ironically enough, John W. Parrish is living right next door to his future (in a few generations!) in-law, as Caswell Bruner's daughter Hattie is the mother of my paternal grandfather, Alto K. Hughes.  John Parrish is a relative on my paternal grandmother's side of the family.  Most of the neighboring families are farmers and laborers in this part of rural South Eastern Alabama.

So, there you have it!  An un-scientific comparison.  At least now I have some frame of reference when browsing through those census records.

Happy Searching!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay It Forward

A bit of joy for my Friday! Our mail delivery within our little military community here in Sicily is so.very.sloooooow.  What makes it maddening is that it can be a combination of super-fast and super-slow...so no one seems to balk at the trend of inconsistency.  Maybe I complain enough for everyone :). I'm in the middle of a few genealogical mysteries - one of them being the family origins of a Mr. Joseph W. Daly, a paternal great-grandfather of my husband.  Like most of the challenging parts of our tree, I hit a wall with Joseph a few months back and promptly put him aside when something a little more lucrative came along.  For sake of ease.  Now, we meet again.  For this one, I even consulted a few curious friends.  I felt like maybe I wasn't searching deep enough or with the right "keywords" online or in my genealogy search engines.  Some researchers have favored methodologies for searching, and I felt I needed to branch out.  One friend immediately suggest

Maritime Monday

Instead of jumping right into the multi-generational tradition of service in the US Navy among my husband's relatives (would have been too obvious?  No?)...I'll kick off the first of my "Maritime Monday" posts with a nod at one of my several German immigrant ancestors.  Ship travel?  Check!   On 18 Septemer 1868, my 3rd great-grandfather Anselmus Ostholthoff arrived in New York aboard the German steam ship "Smidt" after a trans-Atlantic journey from Andervenne, Germany.  His traveling companions - wife Maria Anna (Toepke) Ostholthoff, their eldest son Johan Gerhard (2 years), and daughter Anna Maria (9 months). The following snippet from their arrival documentation [1] indicates that Anselmus ("Selmus") was a farmer from Andervenne.  His stated destination after New York: Virgina.  This is curious to me, because I have record of Anselmus living in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1870 [2] .  At this point, Mr. Ostholthoff is no longer working as a farmer

Chicken or Duck?

I'm feeling a little scattered these days.  Could be the breezy Fall weather - a wonderful sight after three long years in Sicily's arid climate.  Instead of olive and blood orange trees, I'm gazing out of my kitchen window appreciating our collection of hardwoods.  Leaves are everywhere, and the piles are only going to get bigger.  I am treasuring every last one. My research brain is also a bit scattered.  A little genetic genealogy over here...a little "other people's genealogy" over there.  Most of this is flat-out procrastination from dealing with the pile of photos I need to archive and the folder of newly-located probate records to transcribe.  There's also that little thing of needing to manage my household.  Oh, and clean.  And feed children :). In the meantime, I stumbled upon a snippet from the Reading Times (A Web Footed Chicken (1890, August 4).  The Reading Times , p. 1.  Retrieved from www.newspapers.com)). Sarah M. LUDEN is a 4th gre