Skip to main content

The Gardener and Our Driveway - William W. Wyatt (1902-1971)







My family and I are fortunate enough to spend the next couple of months living in a historic home on our local military installation until we close on our new, permanent home a few minutes away.  Our time here will total five months; plenty of time to enjoy the views of the York River and the spring greening taking place more and more each day.  The house itself is an entity.  Huge, overwhelming, and beautiful.  Dusty, creaky, and drafty.  Almost like living in a museum.  Wind blows off of the water at the end of the day, whistling through the windows.  Stinkbugs surprise me at every turn.  Sun shines through the entry windows in the morning to create a warm glow that will stay with me forever.  It was the best of times...it was the worst of times shall we say?

Now, what I do absolutely LOVE is the yard.  This lovely piece of property - and the acres surrounding this area - are supremely historic.  It would take me an hour to type out the history, so feel free to read about it HERE.  And do!  It's truly amazing!  I walk the dog each morning around the yard, breathe the fresh air, and think about the footsteps walking this property hundreds of years ago.  A casual glance at the bare earth beneath the trees hints at communities past...from the glass fragments to the salt-glazed pottery shards...to the arrow points. 

Something that intrigued me as soon as we arrived was the street sign at the beginning of our driveway - "William Wyatt Lane".  A quick online search yielded a few answers HERE.  William Wyatt (1902-1971) was once the gardener employed by the installation to care for the beautiful landscape.  I'm not 100% sure if he had another position on base, but most of what I found shows that he was the gardener here.  During his tenure at Navy Mine Depot Yorktown (now called Naval Weapons Station Yorktown), he was able to meet several distinguished guests.  Most famously, he presented then President Harry Truman with fresh rockfish he himself caught in the York River:
10 Oct 1950, "The Daily Notes", Canonsburg, Pennsylvania

According to an article I found in the Fredericksburg, VA "Free Lance-Star" published on 5 October 1950, Truman was enjoying a woodland stroll through the base along with Commanding Officer Captain William Longfellow (pictured above) when Mr. Wyatt met up with them and surprised Truman with the fish.  A touching moment captured in time.  Longfellow apparently was the catalyst for naming the driveway leading to the commanding officer's quarters after gardener William Wyatt. 

SO - genealogical work put to the test.  What could I find out about Mr. Wyatt?  My main reason for writing this post is that this street name is honorary and is not searchable on any map.  Extended family might not even know about this sign or history.  Why not preserve it for future Wyatt generations?  A pay-it-forward sort of thing :).  I've been on the receiving end many times of genealogical serendipity.  My time to serve!

Here's what I know.  William and wife Mattie Wyatt lived in the area just outside of the military installation - an area called Lackey.  In 1930:

US Federal Census, Nelson District, York County, VA accessed via Ancestry.com

...and in 1940:

US Federal Census, Nelson District, York County, VA, accessed via Ancestry.com

They had two children, Theodora and Norman.  William Wyatt's highest level of education was 8th grade - and he and his parents were all born in Virginia.  I looked further  back to try to locate William in the 1910 and 1920 censuses, but I couldn't find a record I could identify 100%.  There are a handful of William Wyatts in Virginia...and I'll have to evaluate the records to be concise.

Mattie and William are both buried at the Rising Sun Baptist Church cemetery:

Rising Sun Baptist Church Cemetery, Lackey, VA, from FindAGrave.com  


Here's to hoping that someone - anyone - from William Wyatt's family tries to search for information about his work at the Navy Mine Depot and finds this blog post :).  Now that we are in the middle of spring, I enjoy his handiwork daily as I admire the blooming bulbs and flowering trees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay It Forward

A bit of joy for my Friday! Our mail delivery within our little military community here in Sicily is so.very.sloooooow.  What makes it maddening is that it can be a combination of super-fast and super-slow...so no one seems to balk at the trend of inconsistency.  Maybe I complain enough for everyone :). I'm in the middle of a few genealogical mysteries - one of them being the family origins of a Mr. Joseph W. Daly, a paternal great-grandfather of my husband.  Like most of the challenging parts of our tree, I hit a wall with Joseph a few months back and promptly put him aside when something a little more lucrative came along.  For sake of ease.  Now, we meet again.  For this one, I even consulted a few curious friends.  I felt like maybe I wasn't searching deep enough or with the right "keywords" online or in my genealogy search engines.  Some researchers have favored methodologies for searching, and I felt I needed to branch out.  One friend immediately suggest

Maritime Monday

Instead of jumping right into the multi-generational tradition of service in the US Navy among my husband's relatives (would have been too obvious?  No?)...I'll kick off the first of my "Maritime Monday" posts with a nod at one of my several German immigrant ancestors.  Ship travel?  Check!   On 18 Septemer 1868, my 3rd great-grandfather Anselmus Ostholthoff arrived in New York aboard the German steam ship "Smidt" after a trans-Atlantic journey from Andervenne, Germany.  His traveling companions - wife Maria Anna (Toepke) Ostholthoff, their eldest son Johan Gerhard (2 years), and daughter Anna Maria (9 months). The following snippet from their arrival documentation [1] indicates that Anselmus ("Selmus") was a farmer from Andervenne.  His stated destination after New York: Virgina.  This is curious to me, because I have record of Anselmus living in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1870 [2] .  At this point, Mr. Ostholthoff is no longer working as a farmer

Chicken or Duck?

I'm feeling a little scattered these days.  Could be the breezy Fall weather - a wonderful sight after three long years in Sicily's arid climate.  Instead of olive and blood orange trees, I'm gazing out of my kitchen window appreciating our collection of hardwoods.  Leaves are everywhere, and the piles are only going to get bigger.  I am treasuring every last one. My research brain is also a bit scattered.  A little genetic genealogy over here...a little "other people's genealogy" over there.  Most of this is flat-out procrastination from dealing with the pile of photos I need to archive and the folder of newly-located probate records to transcribe.  There's also that little thing of needing to manage my household.  Oh, and clean.  And feed children :). In the meantime, I stumbled upon a snippet from the Reading Times (A Web Footed Chicken (1890, August 4).  The Reading Times , p. 1.  Retrieved from www.newspapers.com)). Sarah M. LUDEN is a 4th gre