Skip to main content

Joseph C. Mead - Michigan





Over the past several weeks, my brain has been immersed in the surnames Smith - Mead - Curtis - Palmer.  Branches of my maternal grandfather's family who trekked from Massachusetts to Vermont to Ohio and finally to Michigan.  More detail than I possible could have imagined - learning about their births, marriages, deaths, estates, land transactions...the list goes on!  Truly fascinating research for a special project that has stretched my genealogical skills to the max.

At one point, I felt like a private investigator calling obscure libraries in search of obscure, defunct local newspapers in teeny-tiny local libraries in parts of Michigan I've never even seen.  I owe a debt of gratitude to the power of genealogical serendipity (mentioned before HERE).  One final, magical detail of this research project emerged last week in the form of a sweet librarian in Coopersville, Michigan who voluntarily found the following obituary on microfilm, scanned, and emailed a copy to me for free.  Now, that's just wonderful in my book.

The following is the obituary for one of my 3rd great-grandfathers on my mother's side of the family - Joseph C. Mead (1828-1905).  The daughter of Joseph Mead, named Emeline "Cora Bell" Mead, is the grandmother of my mother's father.  How's that for confusing?  Anyhow, I have been so very excited about my research into this side of the family, because until a few months ago, none of us knew a terrible amount past the 2nd or 3rd generation.  We now have 8 generations of information and a greater understanding of their role in early America.

Joseph C. Mead was, later in life, a minister in the fledgling Methodist Episcopal Church.  In their local community in DeKalb County, Indiana, the church developed (as I understand) out of the United Brethren church and was a precursor to the modern-day United Methodist Church in America.  Joseph was a circuit preacher in Ohio/Indiana/Michigan.  After his parents' passing in the 1870s, it appears that he moved his immediate family to Ottawa County, Michigan and was affiliated with the M.E. church in Coopersville and Polkton.  I have found several newspaper articles showing his membership in the church, donations of money for the beginning of a seminary in Waterloo, Indiana, and marriages, funerals, and other services he conducted.  One of my favorites - from the Waterloo newspaper - cites how he "filled the pit" with people for one of his preaching sessions.  He must have been quite a speaker!

Here is a transcribed version of his obituary:



OBITUARY

Joseph C. Mead was born in Franklin County, Vermont, September 28, 1828 and died at the home of his son, Eddie in Coopersville, June 25, 1905.  The deceased spent his early childhood in Vermont.  When but a boy he moved with his parents to the state of New York and from there to Ohio, later to Indiana where he was married to Elizabeth Palmer October 27, 1850.  To them were born five children: three sons and one daughter surviving him.
In 1897 his beloved wife was called to her reward, and four years later his eldest daughter.  The last seventeen years of his life he has lived in or near Coopersville.
He was converted in early life and has been a worthy efficient member of the M.E. church for about fifty years and has been a local preacher in the M. E. church nearly forty years.  The funeral services were held in the M.E. church, Coopersville, conducted by his pastor S. B. Ford June 27, 1905.

Coopersville Observer – Obituary, Joseph C. Mead
7 July 1905, pg. 76



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay It Forward

A bit of joy for my Friday! Our mail delivery within our little military community here in Sicily is so.very.sloooooow.  What makes it maddening is that it can be a combination of super-fast and super-slow...so no one seems to balk at the trend of inconsistency.  Maybe I complain enough for everyone :). I'm in the middle of a few genealogical mysteries - one of them being the family origins of a Mr. Joseph W. Daly, a paternal great-grandfather of my husband.  Like most of the challenging parts of our tree, I hit a wall with Joseph a few months back and promptly put him aside when something a little more lucrative came along.  For sake of ease.  Now, we meet again.  For this one, I even consulted a few curious friends.  I felt like maybe I wasn't searching deep enough or with the right "keywords" online or in my genealogy search engines.  Some researchers have favored methodologies for searching, and I felt I needed to branch out.  One friend immediately suggest

Maritime Monday

Instead of jumping right into the multi-generational tradition of service in the US Navy among my husband's relatives (would have been too obvious?  No?)...I'll kick off the first of my "Maritime Monday" posts with a nod at one of my several German immigrant ancestors.  Ship travel?  Check!   On 18 Septemer 1868, my 3rd great-grandfather Anselmus Ostholthoff arrived in New York aboard the German steam ship "Smidt" after a trans-Atlantic journey from Andervenne, Germany.  His traveling companions - wife Maria Anna (Toepke) Ostholthoff, their eldest son Johan Gerhard (2 years), and daughter Anna Maria (9 months). The following snippet from their arrival documentation [1] indicates that Anselmus ("Selmus") was a farmer from Andervenne.  His stated destination after New York: Virgina.  This is curious to me, because I have record of Anselmus living in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1870 [2] .  At this point, Mr. Ostholthoff is no longer working as a farmer

Chicken or Duck?

I'm feeling a little scattered these days.  Could be the breezy Fall weather - a wonderful sight after three long years in Sicily's arid climate.  Instead of olive and blood orange trees, I'm gazing out of my kitchen window appreciating our collection of hardwoods.  Leaves are everywhere, and the piles are only going to get bigger.  I am treasuring every last one. My research brain is also a bit scattered.  A little genetic genealogy over here...a little "other people's genealogy" over there.  Most of this is flat-out procrastination from dealing with the pile of photos I need to archive and the folder of newly-located probate records to transcribe.  There's also that little thing of needing to manage my household.  Oh, and clean.  And feed children :). In the meantime, I stumbled upon a snippet from the Reading Times (A Web Footed Chicken (1890, August 4).  The Reading Times , p. 1.  Retrieved from www.newspapers.com)). Sarah M. LUDEN is a 4th gre